Friday, January 27, 2012

Travelogue #37: Chillin' ...

Strangely enough, I don’t have as many photos from Lisbon. Not that it wasn’t a photogenic city - quite the opposite: there’s something about the combination of blue skies, shiny (shiny!) pavements and hilly topography that lends itself well to being captured on camera.


But perhaps because I was a little over my own excessive photowhoring towards the tail-end of my month away from Belgium; perhaps because Lisbon marked some farewells to my travel buddies as they head off back to the UK, leaving me with a lot of “me time”; or perhaps because it was simply that kind of a city, I spent most of my time in Lisbon just aimlessly chillin’.


Wandering around, navigating my way through the sales crowds, drinking excessive amounts of coffee and wine, eating giant copper pots of miscellaneous seafood … 


In between this wander-eat-shop routine, I did a lot of thinking, about this trip coming to an end, about the people I met, about what it has all meant - if anything. But more on that another day.


As far as my list of ‘Top Cities to Chill’ goes, you can do a lot worse than fine weather, great coffee, cheap wine and a city (and country) full of warm, generous people. 


xx 






Monastery of Jeronimos (below).


Let the record show that I did also do some hardcore touristin’ in Lisbon. Although admittedly I was mostly motivated to go to Belem because of its proximity to the GREATEST TARTS OF ALL TIME.



Tarts of excellence. 



Manueline architecture inside the monastery. 





Tower of Belem



Henry and his navigator minions …




One afternoon, I walked through the Alfama all the way up to the Castle São Jorge to watch the sunset - a surprisingly un-gentrified and residential part of town, to the point where I felt like I was inadvertently peering into people’s living rooms and bedrooms when the streets got too narrow. 


But what views once you emerge from the labyrinth … 






Sunset from the castle.






No comments:

Post a Comment