Saturday, December 10, 2011

Travelogue #22: Miracle.

Autumn in Berlin was yellow. 


There were so many stories, so many miracles to be celebrated, so many young people moving through their everyday lives in Berlin. 


Everywhere you went as a tourist, you could see a conscious effort by Berliners to celebrate, to commemorate, to forget, and to reuse public spaces around them. There was a kind of harmony between the old and the new that so many European cities seem to fail at. 


I walked through the Memorial to the Murdered Jews, I marvelled at the straight, wide boulevards of Berlin’s old centre. I stood before the Ishtar Gates in the Pergamon Museum. I looked into the abyss in the Jewish Museum. I saw street art scrawled on walls. I saw the wall.


And I marvelled at the urban planning that gave meaning to these places, and I marvelled at a city that has survived major conflicts, withstood heavy artillery, struggled against decades of separation, and still remains intact and whole. 


Berlin is such a miracle of a place. 








Oh Berlin, y u so coooool? 




Jewish Museum. 



:O 



:O :O :O :O 





Hard to imagine that a wall so thin could keep a country divided for so many years. 



Communism and architecture - never a good mix. 



Topography of Terror. 



No comments:

Post a Comment