Sunday, December 4, 2011

Travelogue #21: Fairytale endings.

I had no particular reason to go to Trier, other than the fact that I ran into a German man at the hotel bar in Luxembourg, who told me that I simply must visit.


I asked him where he was from: “Trier, of course." 


Indeed, Trier did make for an excellent weekend away for any history nerd. It had all the compactness of a small town, with the grandiosity of a much larger centre: an intimate cathedral built by Emperor Constantine, beautiful mansions and parks, a handful of Roman ruins, and … hordes of Chinese tourists due to the fact that Trier was home to a man known as Karl Marx. The beautiful Moselle River runs through Trier, which means that you can get some excellent locally produced riesling in Trier.


Now we’re talkin’ … 




Porta Nigra, built by the Romans.


I know, Roman ruins in Germany. BRAIN. DOES NOT. COMPUTE.











Reflections. 




Roman Baths. 



Roman amphitheatre. 



Definitely not Roman.




Back on the train. Chugging, chugging, chugging along. 


No comments:

Post a Comment