Sunday, September 25, 2011

Travelogue #8: Museums.

What makes a great museum?


Is it the size of the collection? Or the depth of the exhibits? The marvellous architecture of the building? Or the quality of light, the layout of the internal halls? How big is too big? And how small is irrelevance? 


These are the questions I asked myself throughout my trip to the US, but especially in New York, where I visited the most number of museums and galleries.


For my money, MOMA had the greatest depth, the Metropolitan Museum of Art was overwhelming in its breadth and grandeur (reminded me a little of the Louvre), and the Guggenheim was the most viewer friendly in its pristine ribbon-like structure and continuity. 


And right now, I’m in Europe and ironically, I don’t plan on hitting many museums on this continent packed with art and museums. 


Travelling has taken a toll and I am eager to start “living”. Unpack, unwind, unload all that information I’ve gathered. Cook a meal. Read a book. Go through all my notes and photos. And of course, catch up on all the backdated travel blogging I have yet to do. 


Watch this space.  





Guess what painting they were looking at? 



Of course … 



MOMA




Guggenheim interior. 



Birds resting on the exterior. 



My tourist shot ;) 



xx doots

No comments:

Post a Comment